Author Topic: No one mentioned Shadowrun???  (Read 16567 times)

Offline Disease.of.Dysfunction

• Digital Soldier
    • View Profile
No one mentioned Shadowrun???
« on: November 29, 2009, 03:58:47 AM »
I have read about it heard of it but never could play it Shadowrun it's a board game distinctively for the industrial future era which was doomed obviously. Kinda like DnD but not so mystical more relativity could be brought into ones story. It was also a dice game had 6 sides to it, has anyone played Shadowrun or Steampunk board games b4 or heard of them???

Offline Neu.Macht

• Elektronik Techniker
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Digital Soldier
    • View Profile
Re: No one mentioned Shadowrun???
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 07:27:53 PM »
I have not heard of Shadowrun the board game, but I played a SNES game by that same title.  It has a Cyberpunk theme with a few additional aspects such as, magic and multiple races. I found this game to be very enjoyable.  From my description of Shadowrun for the SNES, do you think it was based upon the board game you are familiar with. 
NeuMacht

• Digital Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 05:11:18 AM »
Hmmm...could be. There was a magic like skill or ability but that was supposed to be like near future hacking feature. The board game Shadowrun is cyberpunk theme yes maybe i should have mentioned that. If it's SNES then that's epic the creators made this back in the 80s so I wouldn't know that far back :) I'll just link the info from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadowrun
It appears they made a 2007 Shadowrun Game for PC aye that is wicked!!!
Here's a list of cyberpunk video games...

[edit] Video Games

* Blade Runner (1985)
    * Neuromancer (1988)
    * Snatcher (1988-1996)
    * Flashback (1992)
    * Syndicate (1993)
          o Syndicate Wars (1996)
    * Beneath a Steel Sky (1994)
    * Burn:Cycle (1994)
    * Delta V (1994)
    * Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller (1994)
    * System Shock (1994)
          o System Shock 2 (1999)
    * CyberMage: Darklight Awakening (1995)
    * Johnny Mnemonic: The Interactive Action Movie
    * Blade Runner (1997)[citation needed]
    * A.I. Wars: The Awakening (2000)
    * Deus Ex (2000)
          o Deus Ex: Invisible War (2003)
    * Uplink (2001)
    * Neocron (2002)
          o Neocron 2: Beyond Dome of York (2004)
    * Enter the Matrix (2003)
    * Dystopia (2005)[186]
    * The Matrix Online (2005)
    * The Matrix: Path of Neo (2005)
    * System Rush (2005)
    * Shadowrun (2007)

[edit] Role Playing Games

* Cyberpunk 2020
    * Shadowrun

Offline Jib

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 10:52:49 AM »
When I first read your post about Shadowrun being a boardgame I got excited but I guess we differ on what a boardgame is and what a pen-and-paper game is.  I always wanted to give shadowrun a try but never found anyone else that wanted to play.  More people like the fantasy settings of DnD.

Offline synthetik

• Digital Grunt
  • chaotic order?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 08:05:37 AM »
my technomage got rolled over by our riggers' drones in our last shadowrun sesion :(
i wanted to hit him so badly
ǫ͚͕͇͕̦̭̮̓͐͗͐r͔̺̹͎̲̪̹̮̽͛ͧ̇́d̢͙͇̄͐e̴̮̱̥͇̾͐͂̑̓̽ͣ̉̿r̹̮͕̻ͬͣ̂͌͟͝͠ ̯̗̝̝̪͙ͯͩ̒ͫ͋i͉̞͖̽ͮͨ̓̊̃̀ṉ̸͙͓̇͌ͦ̓̉̔̕͟ ̛̩̗̱̗͓͑̇̍͐̌ͮͫc̑ͨ͊̌̍̓ͦ̎̒̀҉̸̦̣̳͖̲̜h͍̤̓̄͑ͣͤ̓͛a̛̝̝͚̖ͧͬ͞ȍ̢̃͏̨̖͍̖̪̜̪̟s̵̊ͪ҉̵̳̪̥̭̘͇̙̺

• Digital Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 07:44:21 PM »
When I first read your post about Shadowrun being a boardgame I got excited but I guess we differ on what a boardgame is and what a pen-and-paper game is.  I always wanted to give shadowrun a try but never found anyone else that wanted to play.  More people like the fantasy settings of DnD.

Yeah i agree it's to hyped like I bet all the DnD players probably flocked to WoW when it 1st came out. ;) go forth ye warriors and paint thy enemies with RED DOTS!!! :P Now if you don't mind me asking what do you mean by a "pen-and-paper" game? If their some history to be discovered then by all means I'm curious. lol

my technomage got rolled over by our riggers' drones in our last shadowrun sesion :(
i wanted to hit him so badly

OK I assume the rigger drones don't come equipped with brakes? It sounds kinda funny and interesting, was this the "Shadowrun" board game, pen-and-paper thingy or other? ^_^

Offline Leviathan

• Cybernetic Grunt
  • Apathy or Indifference? Who knows; who cares?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 02:50:05 AM »
i used to play this game in the late 80's-early 90's.  my friends and i gravitated from dn'd to to robotech for a brief period and on to shadowrun.  the shadowrun stuff was hard to find so we then invented a game we called "vigilante".  it was full of members of a secret society with various backgrounds and equipment.  of course my favorite character was based on my dad, a veteran green beret of the 7th special forces group during vietnam.  that was just me being a goofy kid who saw my dad as a hero.  we had a lot of fun playing that game and we even did some fan art that seemed pretty cool then but today would probably be uber-ghey.  The fun stopped when the military moved my family again into that seething shithole that is the nations capitol.  i miss my firends, and playing rog's.  but i don't think i would play dn'd again.  i am bored with the neo-medieval thing.  it's too cliche today.  i was much more interested then and now in the future and present themes.

Levi
My level of respect for a person is determined by how much they are willing to endure for what they believe in.

Offline Jib

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 10:42:23 AM »
By pen-and-paper I mean it is a Role-Playing Game
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing_game

Offline Kasimodo

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 09:11:57 AM »
The dark-future background would have been great if not for the fantasy stuff mixed into it. Elves and Cyberpunk just don't mix well in my book, unless you make it a totally weird fun like in TORG. Plus back when I tried it, you needed a bucket full of dice to play. We used to play the pen&paper RPG Cyberpunk 2011/2020 instead, which was more fun to me. I never tried the computer game for the very same reason.

The list of dark-future-themed video games misses out the Fallout games which were among the best RPGs ever created.

Offline senatorbobdole

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 03:29:11 PM »
No one mentioned this, but the SNES game IS based on the Shadowrun role playing game.  So is the newer Shadowrun game for the XBox 360 and PC.  The newer one needed some work in my opinion.

Offline Phyr3Ph0x

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 11:36:08 AM »
I played both Shadowrun and Cyberpunk 2020.
I wasn't impressed with the game system for shadowrun as it usually came dowm to rolling handfulls of d6's and the fantasy element just didn't work within the setting.  The computer side of it (The Matrix) was horrible to play too.

Cyberpunk on the other hand was a beautifuly crafted game.  Great game mechanics with problems that could be solved with a single roll of a dice, a better realised world faithful to the range of cyberpunk literature and the net-running was, if not perfect, at least better than shadowrun...

Damn, I haven't played in about 15 years & I miss it!

Offline Calibretto

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 01:32:06 PM »
Shadowrun is easily one of the coolest RPG universes ever created. There's a bunch of different versions of the system, but the fluff stays the same and is good entertainment in itself. You don't have to want to play tabletop RPGs to appreciate some of the ideas in this stuff.

I'm not big on cyberpunk, but then again it completely lacks the fantasy element that makes cyberpunk so crazy.

Most Shadowrun video games miss the target though. Often hack and slash or plain shooters, they don't provide the proper feel you're supposed to be getting from the Shadowrun universe.

Any of you guys know Aeon Trinity? (Now just Trinity I think. It was a White Eolf system.)

Offline wysiwyg

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Digital Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 02:06:48 PM »
ShadowRun also had a series of paperback books set in the universe. I liked reading those.

FASA started the ShadowRun RPG but it was taken over by Catalyst Game Labs which still publishes it.

Offline mnemon

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 03:22:25 PM »
No one mentioned this, but the SNES game IS based on the Shadowrun role playing game.  So is the newer Shadowrun game for the XBox 360 and PC.  The newer one needed some work in my opinion.

There is also a Sega Genesis version, much better than the SNES one in my opinion. Never played the original P&P myself, was always more into non-fantasy(as in no elves, orcs and magic) cyberpunk.

Offline Jib

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 09:02:28 AM »
Shadowrun Returns.  It is was on Kickstarter awhile ago, sorry if didn't think to link it here then in case you wanted to give them money but I think you still can.  It is from the original creator and is it looks like it is going to be really good.  Here is the Kickstarter page about it:  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns