Author Topic: requests/now playing queue  (Read 11247 times)

Offline faelaenx

• part time cosmological avatar and possible high functioning sociopath
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Dragoon
  • R.eality I.s P.erception
    • View Profile
requests/now playing queue
« on: December 05, 2009, 10:40:32 PM »
so i'll tackle 2 birds with one thread...

Firstly i just want to say that neither one of these is a complaint. In the years i have been listening since i was first fortunate to find DG, i have never had, nor do i ever forsee having any sort of real complaint. From heavenly harmonics to sonic stampedes, the auditory bliss is blessing indeed. Dare i say i am in love with DG? Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps? Can one make love to DG? Oh my, yes, and have i!

er, ahem

*excuses himself to clean all the ass-kissing from his face...

Anyway i was just curious about the 2 request benefit for subscribers. i've noticed that occasionally after one request it states that i have used up my requests for the day. But it is not constant nor consistent. Oh, DG, are you just playing hard to get?

Also the 'now playing' seems to be non synchronous with the song that is actually streaming. Now, mind you it could be that maybe it's fault on my end, as i'm making use of a rather older laptop with a not so great processor. However i have no problems streaming the subscriber server. But either the 'now playing' is one song ahead of what is streaming or what i am listening to is one song behind what it should be. Oh, DG, how you love to tease me!

thanks for reading...
i can only please one person a day. Today is NOT your day. Tomorrow is not looking good either...

Offline Drewthetexan

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
Re: requests/now playing queue
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 11:15:45 PM »
I think the requests reset at midnightish, CST.  Have you made a request the preceding night and then the next day? 

Some nights I have managed 3 or 4 requests in a row because my count reset and there weren't any other requests. 

The requests do funny things to the subscriber stream that gets it out of sync - but never more than a song or two.  There was one night that the subscriber stream did not play one of the songs listed.  In the process, it re-sync'd with the now playing.  - that is, it was a song behind, then it skipped a song, played the request, and then it was in step with the now playing list.  I don't remember much about it though.
Men have become the tools of their tools.
-Henry David Thoreau

Spam Hunting

Offline faelaenx

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Dragoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 12:00:35 AM »
Didn't realize it reset at midnight CST, that could explain it. Thanks man
i can only please one person a day. Today is NOT your day. Tomorrow is not looking good either...

Offline Drewthetexan

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 01:39:15 AM »
Sure thing.

Men have become the tools of their tools.
-Henry David Thoreau

Spam Hunting

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digitalgunfire.com
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 06:50:28 AM »
The 'Now Playing' pulls from the free stream - the subscriber stream runs a separate process and, as mentioned, it is never perfectly in sync.

If something crashes (which happens occasionally) then they get out of sync. If a song gets skipped for whatever reason, the same thing happens.

I do have a few things setup to re-sync them but it's not an exact science.

Your request issue is probably exactly what Drew said.
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline faelaenx

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Dragoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 01:48:15 PM »
Well, that is all sorted then. i thank you gentlemen!

Offline faelaenx

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Dragoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 09:16:53 PM »
This is not necessarily directly related to my initial inquiries, however...
Of course, i had to open and type my fukkin mouth off and say that i had no problem streaming the subscriber line and, of course, now i seem to. i have a bad habit of too oft forgetting Thom's Law, which is way worse than Murphy's; the universe will do anything it can to fuck me over at the first second that i even remotely perceive that it could be possible that a situation or circumstance might, perhaps, just be kinda maybe going in the general direction of my favor.

Couple that with the fact that i am convinced that there is some sort of minor electro-magnetic interference field coursing through my veins and technology just plain hates me.

Though it could be that there is a lot of Verizon air traffic as i type and that is causing the problem. But the 192kbs stream keeps buffering after every 30 seconds or so and after doing so for 4 or 5 times just simply stops and i have to reconnect. The 128kbs stream seems to last longer before dropping out. Hell it might even have something to do with the 'Virtual Memory Low' window that has popped up the last couple of days, but i'm more PCtarded than not, so i don't even know what that means or how to fix it. But i should probably post that in it's own thread.

The only reason why i'm even bitching out loud about it is because i had a rough day and i missed my first request - which i was really looking forward to - because of this shite. i don't have my own PC where i am right now, which means i don't have my music catalogue with me to listen to particular songs when i might want to. So DG is all i have and when it's getting interrupted on me (believe me i know it's nothing to do with the site) i feel like getting in a cage match with a celestial avatar, quite confident that my rage will win me out.

ok, rant is done.
exeunt

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 09:18:23 PM »
If 192kbps is buffering and 128kbps is buffering less, it's probably related to your connection.

Try www.speedtest.net, you need to be able to pull in at *least* 256kbps or more to stream to do ANYTHING else.
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline faelaenx

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Dragoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 09:53:42 PM »
Well most times in the past 3 weeks i've been here it seems to work flawlessly, other times, it's what i was ranting about.

Not sure how to digest and interpret it as kbps, but should i assume this is not good?

now mind you, i've been running the subscriber for 28 minutes currently with only one few second buffer and no cut off (so far), which is far better than it was the previous few hours. Maybe it is because i'm running a connection off of a Verizon aircard and the more cell traffic in the area, the worse my connection gets? The local Verizon tower is the only available connection for cellular and internet service on this entire mountain.

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 07:20:06 AM »
I think you are probably exactly right. I have a Sprint aircard that I use when I'm out and about and the speeds vary wildly based on location/traffic volume.
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline faelaenx

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Dragoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 09:13:39 PM »
Yeah, i can only conclude that that is it. And since it was (as i had a frontal lobe flatulence and for some reason forgot all my conversion math skills since i said i wasn't sure how to interpret .82 mbps) well over 800 kbps i should have been fine. No problems so far tonight.