Author Topic: Strategy Games  (Read 28579 times)

Offline Lexus

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
Re: Strategy Games
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2009, 02:22:47 AM »
Jagged Alliance 2?

Ive got that laying around somewhere. I really liked it. To bad I didnt understand how it worked so I could never properly play it.

Played that a million times

I should see if that works under windows 7. Might be fun to do again.
My armor is contempt
My shield is disgust
My sword is hatred

Offline Drewthetexan

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2009, 09:05:35 AM »
ZOMG!!

Apparently there was a new xcom released in 2007.  Turn-based and everything.

Called UFO:Extraterrestrials.  I know what I'm getting for christmas!  Apparently there is also a prequel to the 2007 game due to be released around this time next year. 

I hope it is as brutal and unforgiving as terror from the deep.  There was nothing better than an alien throwing a grenade inside your ship, wiping out half your crew while the rest went berserk and started shooting the walls and each other - on the first move - and still, somehow, managing to complete the mission.  That game was hardcore!

EDIT: if anyone is interested, the game can be purchased at matrixgames.com

It's not made by the same people though.

Thanks, Dismal Dan.  :)

Honestly, I'm not sure what you mean by that.
Men have become the tools of their tools.
-Henry David Thoreau

Spam Hunting

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digitalgunfire.com
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 10:11:01 AM »
ZOMG!!

Called UFO:Extraterrestrials.  I know what I'm getting for christmas!  Apparently there is also a prequel to the 2007 game due to be released around this time next year. 

I hope it is as brutal and unforgiving as terror from the deep.  There was nothing better than an alien throwing a grenade inside your ship, wiping out half your crew while the rest went berserk and started shooting the walls and each other - on the first move - and still, somehow, managing to complete the mission.  That game was hardcore!

UFO: Extraterrestrials wasn't made by the same people as X-COM, it's just a knock off. I didn't really care for it myself.
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline Lexus

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 10:39:34 AM »
I think I got that UFO game. In fact, I think I have the entire trilogy. Not sure. I got so much games Im not sure anymore which ones I got and which ones I dont got.
My armor is contempt
My shield is disgust
My sword is hatred

Offline Drewthetexan

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 01:47:39 PM »
ZOMG!!

UFO: Extraterrestrials wasn't made by the same people as X-COM, it's just a knock off. I didn't really care for it myself.

<sigh>

I'm guessing you checked it out then?  No good? That's a bummer.  I was all excited about it. 

I don't have an issue with it being made by another company, in and of itself, but my hope was that it was true to the originals.   
-Henry David Thoreau

Spam Hunting

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 05:37:14 PM »
I'm guessing you checked it out then?  No good? That's a bummer.  I was all excited about it. 

I don't have an issue with it being made by another company, in and of itself, but my hope was that it was true to the originals.   

Give it a try, some people liked it. Maybe I'm just old and jaded.
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline grobmotoriker

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 07:16:35 PM »
ZOMG!!

<sigh>

Well, I'm afraid no game will ever be a real successor to the old X-Com games. If you like to play it, I'd recommend setting up an old 486 or P1 again (did this, I also found playing games like TIE Fighter, Colonization and DOOM after such a long time really great!), much better than DOS Box. The UFO Trilogy (Extraterrestrials isn't part of that, it's Aftermath, Aftershock (personal favorite) and Afterlight) also isn't bad, but I'd rather recommend UFO: Aftershock or UFO: Afterlight. Especially Afterlight has a cool soundtrack btw., but it doesn't come up with too much atmosphere... Extraterrestrials made me curious, but the ratings about this game haven't been to optimistic (to say the least), so I didn't have a look. Ok, enough brackets here, if I'm typing another one, I'm afraid to trigger some LISP interpreter.

Offline Drewthetexan

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2009, 08:29:17 PM »

Give it a try, some people liked it. Maybe I'm just old and jaded.

I think growing old necessarily involves becoming jaded.  Nothing is ever as good as it was in the glory days when everything was new and exciting. (except the sub shop I've rediscovered after 20 years)

Well, I'm afraid no game will ever be a real successor to the old X-Com games. If you like to play it, I'd recommend setting up an old 486 or P1 again (did this, I also found playing games like TIE Fighter, Colonization and DOOM after such a long time really great!), much better than DOS Box. The UFO Trilogy (Extraterrestrials isn't part of that, it's Aftermath, Aftershock (personal favorite) and Afterlight) also isn't bad, but I'd rather recommend UFO: Aftershock or UFO: Afterlight. Especially Afterlight has a cool soundtrack btw., but it doesn't come up with too much atmosphere... Extraterrestrials made me curious, but the ratings about this game haven't been to optimistic (to say the least), so I didn't have a look. Ok, enough brackets here, if I'm typing another one, I'm afraid to trigger some LISP interpreter.

A buddy of mine set me up with a virtual box on a now dead computer specifically to run the older games a few years back. I got to play x-com for a few weeks before school overran my schedule.  Thinking I'm gonna have to hit him up again.

We loved playing Buzz Aldrin's race into space.  That was a game you almost never could win because the probability of failure was so incredibly high.

Honestly, sometimes I do prefer the older games over the newer ones. They were harder and you felt like you accomplished something when you beat it.  None of this bullshit resurrection and carrying on.  You had to start over.  From the beginning.  In the snow.  Uphill, both ways...  And we liked it!

Definitely going to check out the UFO series.   
-Henry David Thoreau

Spam Hunting

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2009, 09:06:06 PM »
If you like turn based games, try Silent Storm, it's one of the best ones I've played for a while. Last good turn based game to come out that I played.
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline Lexus

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2009, 06:03:28 AM »
Silent Storm looks interesting. To bad they dont sell it anymore.
My armor is contempt
My shield is disgust
My sword is hatred

Offline CaptainBrad

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2009, 12:13:47 PM »
I have been playing Heroes of  Might and Magic 5 for the last while.  It is pretty fun turn based strategy.

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2009, 12:19:37 PM »
Silent Storm looks interesting. To bad they dont sell it anymore.

I'm sure it's still around somewhere
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline Drewthetexan

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2009, 10:26:10 AM »
http://www.homeoftheunderdogs.net/

Speaking of old games lurking about, this site has has just about every old computer game ever made.  It's a veritable treasure trove of enjoyment, provided you can get the games running.
-Henry David Thoreau

Spam Hunting

Offline Drewthetexan

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2009, 06:43:33 PM »
http://www.homeoftheunderdogs.net/

Speaking of old games lurking about, this site has has just about every old computer game ever made.  It's a veritable treasure trove of enjoyment, provided you can get the games running.

I was informed today that this is not *the* site that it once was.  In fact something happened a couple of years ago and the archives were lost to memory, so... yeah.

Bummer.
-Henry David Thoreau

Spam Hunting

Offline ryno525

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2009, 09:10:48 PM »
Starcraft 2 is set to be released somtime in 2010 iirc. It's not turn based..but its an RTS with alot of potential and work put into it. I think It will be the best RTS ever made when It's released.

anything