Author Topic: Strategy Games  (Read 28577 times)

Offline thinkingthing

• Cybernetic Grunt
    • View Profile
Strategy Games
« on: December 12, 2009, 12:27:27 PM »
I used to looooove sprawling strategy games like Civilizations and Galactic Civilizations, but they just don't seem to provide enough gratification anymore since I discovered eurogames like Settlers of Catan.

Anyone else get on the wagon? Do computer games still "do it" for you?

Offline Lexus

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
Re: Strategy Games
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 06:03:48 PM »
You mean you like the board game of Settlers of Catan more then you like strategy video games?

I liked the board game a lot, but I dont got enough people to play it with.

And besides that, you can do so much more in computer games.
My armor is contempt
My shield is disgust
My sword is hatred

Offline Jews32

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
a strategy game that is like AOE2 or EE?
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 03:53:29 AM »
These new strategy games are way to fast paced, what happend to the empire building with the impenetrable walls like Empire Earth or Age of Empires 2..

Automatic Gate | watch south park online | snoozer pet beds
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 04:31:20 AM by Jews32 »

Offline Drewthetexan

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
Re: a strategy game that is like AOE2 or EE?
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2009, 10:19:35 AM »
These new strategy games are way to fast paced, what happend to the empire building with the impenetrable walls like Empire Earth or Age of Empires 2..

+1

I stopped playing strategy games because there isn't enough long term strategy.  It's all about immediate gratification.  You just throw a mass of bodies willy-nilly against another mass.

My absolute most favorite strategy game was Xcom: Terror From the Deep.  It was a 1-player turn-based tactical/strategy game.  If you went too fast or didn't take the time to carefully move your very limited troops (maybe 10 at most?) and resources around during missions, your squad was reduced to puddles of goo . The enemy was ALWAYS superior in numbers, weapons, and tactical advantage; the one advantage you did have was time and patience, if you could stand it.   

Lately I've gotten more enjoyment out of the "free" flash game hex empire than anything else I've played. 
Men have become the tools of their tools.
-Henry David Thoreau

Spam Hunting

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digitalgunfire.com
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 10:44:17 AM »
I really wish someone would release a new turn based game like that.. I played Silent Storm to death but there's been nothing since then.
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline Lexus

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 11:05:10 AM »

+1

I stopped playing strategy games because there isn't enough long term strategy.  It's all about immediate gratification.  You just throw a mass of bodies willy-nilly against another mass.

My absolute most favorite strategy game was Xcom: Terror From the Deep.  It was a 1-player turn-based tactical/strategy game.  If you went too fast or didn't take the time to carefully move your very limited troops (maybe 10 at most?) and resources around during missions, your squad was reduced to puddles of goo . The enemy was ALWAYS superior in numbers, weapons, and tactical advantage; the one advantage you did have was time and patience, if you could stand it.   

Lately I've gotten more enjoyment out of the "free" flash game hex empire than anything else I've played. 

Have you tried Soldiers: Heroes of World War 2?

At best you got like one tank and 2 to 3 soldiers and you got to take on entire armies. If you dont play that right you are gonna loose. You could choose the equipment, had to think of types of ammunition for your tanks (AP or HE) and stuff like that. Seriously epic game.
My armor is contempt
My shield is disgust
My sword is hatred

Offline Drewthetexan

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 12:15:29 PM »

+1

At best you got like one tank and 2 to 3 soldiers and you got to take on entire armies. If you dont play that right you are gonna loose. You could choose the equipment, had to think of types of ammunition for your tanks (AP or HE) and stuff like that. Seriously epic game.

I'll look into it. 

Maybe I'm gonna just have to make my own game one day. Not that I really know how!
-Henry David Thoreau

Spam Hunting

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 04:00:57 PM »

Is it turn based?
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline Lexus

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 04:06:35 PM »

Is it turn based?

No its not. Which adds to the difficulty of the game if you ask me.

Instead, they did put in a direct control mode, giving you the ability to circumvent bad path finding and stuff by letting you walk your unit and let him aim and stuff.
Dont make the mistake by thinking that its easy because of that because seriously its not. Ive never had to reload previous saves so often.
My armor is contempt
My shield is disgust
My sword is hatred

Offline thinkingthing

• Cybernetic Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 09:51:57 PM »
what happend to the empire building with the impenetrable walls like Empire Earth or Age of Empires 2..

I was a big AOE2 fan, and also enjoyed Rise of Nations RTS, which was pretty much like AOE across all epochs, starting with stone age and ending with nuclear annihilation. But Rise of Nations is like five years old, now!

Usually thinking of RTS as more tactical than strategic. If you stop to think you get your ass handed to you by the AI.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 09:53:37 PM by thinkingthing »

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2009, 07:25:45 AM »

Is it turn based?

No its not. Which adds to the difficulty of the game if you ask me.

Instead, they did put in a direct control mode, giving you the ability to circumvent bad path finding and stuff by letting you walk your unit and let him aim and stuff.
Dont make the mistake by thinking that its easy because of that because seriously its not. Ive never had to reload previous saves so often.

I prefer turn based generally
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline Lexus

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2009, 01:24:43 PM »
Jagged Alliance 2?

Ive got that laying around somewhere. I really liked it. To bad I didnt understand how it worked so I could never properly play it.
My armor is contempt
My shield is disgust
My sword is hatred

Offline Drewthetexan

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2009, 06:42:20 PM »
ZOMG!!

Apparently there was a new xcom released in 2007.  Turn-based and everything.

Called UFO:Extraterrestrials.  I know what I'm getting for christmas!  Apparently there is also a prequel to the 2007 game due to be released around this time next year.  

I hope it is as brutal and unforgiving as terror from the deep.  There was nothing better than an alien throwing a grenade inside your ship, wiping out half your crew while the rest went berserk and started shooting the walls and each other - on the first move - and still, somehow, managing to complete the mission.  That game was hardcore!

EDIT: if anyone is interested, the game can be purchased at matrixgames.com
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 06:48:39 PM by Drewthetexan »
-Henry David Thoreau

Spam Hunting

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 07:36:30 PM »
Jagged Alliance 2?

Ive got that laying around somewhere. I really liked it. To bad I didnt understand how it worked so I could never properly play it.

Played that a million times
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2009, 07:36:57 PM »
ZOMG!!

Apparently there was a new xcom released in 2007.  Turn-based and everything.

Called UFO:Extraterrestrials.  I know what I'm getting for christmas!  Apparently there is also a prequel to the 2007 game due to be released around this time next year. 

I hope it is as brutal and unforgiving as terror from the deep.  There was nothing better than an alien throwing a grenade inside your ship, wiping out half your crew while the rest went berserk and started shooting the walls and each other - on the first move - and still, somehow, managing to complete the mission.  That game was hardcore!

EDIT: if anyone is interested, the game can be purchased at matrixgames.com

It's not made by the same people though.
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com