Author Topic: Samples  (Read 40078 times)

Offline faelaenx

• part time cosmological avatar and possible high functioning sociopath
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Dragoon
  • R.eality I.s P.erception
    • View Profile
Samples
« on: October 17, 2010, 01:56:59 AM »
i feel this deserves its own thread.

i'm usually up to task when it comes to knowing samples used in industrial music. After all, i've seen a plethora of film in mine days. But i ain't seen everything. And some of our beloved, artistic electronic artists just looove to use obscure film samples. Which you have to admit is just plain fucking cool. It lends something very unique and exotic to the genre.

So, this thread is for finding out and sharing the exemplars.

Heard a sample and it's killing you on the tip of your tongue?

Ask here.

Hey Shirow, maybe this needs its own division? Guess we can wait and see if anyone responds..
i can only please one person a day. Today is NOT your day. Tomorrow is not looking good either...

Offline faelaenx

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Dragoon
    • View Profile
Re: Samples
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 02:03:23 AM »
so, i'll go first...

Song is 'Hate This' by Grendel.

Sample is
"How the fuck are you gonna make me feel better?
Don't yell at me
Don't yell at you?, you fucking egotistical bitch!
You come here with this self righteous shit!
You gonna find some words in that book that are gonna make me feel better?
Gonna make everything alright?"

Then at the end...

"think you know about hate
you think you know about hate you motherfucker?!"

i'm stuck on this and i even know obscure Ministry samples.

Take it away....
i can only please one person a day. Today is NOT your day. Tomorrow is not looking good either...

Offline Katzenjammer

• Digital Soldier
  • aka Krimmy
    • View Profile
    • Titans
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 10:39:43 AM »
so, i'll go first...

Song is 'Hate This' by Grendel.

Sample is
"How the fuck are you gonna make me feel better?
Don't yell at me
Don't yell at you?, you fucking egotistical bitch!
You come here with this self righteous shit!
You gonna find some words in that book that are gonna make me feel better?
Gonna make everything alright?"

Then at the end...

"think you know about hate
you think you know about hate you motherfucker?!"

i'm stuck on this and i even know obscure Ministry samples.

Take it away....

It's from the movie Pariah http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0151905/

Offline faelaenx

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Dragoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 01:33:40 AM »
THANK YOU!

Someone finally responded. i just threw that on my Netflix, but it irritates me that i cannot find it stream-able anywhere online. i've never even heard of that movie, which makes me want to chastise myself in a closed room.

But a thousand 'thank-you's'

Offline aphxero

• Digital Dragoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 05:47:30 AM »
I always wondered about that one too. Thanks!

Offline swarmofcats

• Digital Dragoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 09:31:47 AM »
I have a good one that I haven't been able to figure out.  No luck with Google.  The sample is at the very beginning of the song.

Alien Produkt - Out of Control  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nobyo3aJggM

"I just love you and I don't care what's happened.  Whatever you've done...  Cause I think you're the most wonderful person in the whole world."
"Please don't say that... please don't say that kinda crap..."
"It's not crap, Ann. I mean it."
" I know you mean it but you must stop meaning it.  I'm not wonderful."

Offline creepster

• Don't Take It Personally
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
  • mess with the best - die like the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 10:47:21 AM »
I have a good one that I haven't been able to figure out.  No luck with Google.  The sample is at the very beginning of the song.

Alien Produkt - Out of Control  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nobyo3aJggM

"I just love you and I don't care what's happened.  Whatever you've done...  Cause I think you're the most wonderful person in the whole world."
"Please don't say that... please don't say that kinda crap..."
"It's not crap, Ann. I mean it."
" I know you mean it but you must stop meaning it.  I'm not wonderful."

my best guess and stab in the dark would be "Misery"
because kathy bate's character is "annie" and in the song he does say "annie" as compared to "ann" (i think at that particular place was a two-syllable word)

the snippet would also fit the context of the movie, i watched it too long ago to pin-point the precise scene

but the plot was for her to capture the author and smash his ankles to keep him around
so him saying "i don't care what happened" to sweet talk her into false security to make the run just makes sense to me (it would be at the last quarter of the movie i'd say)
Theory is when you know everything and nothing works.
Practice is when things work, and no one knows why.
Here we combine theory and practice.
Nothing works and no one knows why.

modified, taken from bash.org

Offline swarmofcats

• Digital Dragoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 12:55:30 AM »
because kathy bate's character is "annie" and in the song he does say "annie" as compared to "ann" (i think at that particular place was a two-syllable word)

the snippet would also fit the context of the movie, i watched it too long ago to pin-point the precise scene

but the plot was for her to capture the author and smash his ankles to keep him around
so him saying "i don't care what happened" to sweet talk her into false security to make the run just makes sense to me (it would be at the last quarter of the movie i'd say)

I'm familiar with the movie and the dialog actually fits very well for the situations that take place.  But I can say with certainty that it's not James Caan+Kathy Bates's voices.

These actors have British accents.  The male speaker sounds a bit like Ewen McGregor but I can't say for sure that it's him.  I checked around, Googled his movies for awhile and didn't find any good leads to follow up on.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 01:05:09 AM by swarmofcats »

Offline faelaenx

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Dragoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 01:40:48 AM »
True, the Brit accent gives it away as not being Misery, nor any American film that i have ever seen.
Personally, this will be a new thorn in my side, as i have seen a shite tonne of British films since i was once married to one, and have no idea on this. Since i still love the films, will definitely keep my ears open and report back!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 01:49:23 AM by faelaenx »

Offline creepster

• Don't Take It Personally
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
  • mess with the best - die like the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 09:09:47 AM »

I'm familiar with the movie and the dialog actually fits very well for the situations that take place.  But I can say with certainty that it's not James Caan+Kathy Bates's voices.

These actors have British accents.  The male speaker sounds a bit like Ewen McGregor but I can't say for sure that it's him.  I checked around, Googled his movies for awhile and didn't find any good leads to follow up on.

honestly, i wouldnt say you'd be able to hear any accent or pitch in voices because even the sample taken from the movie sounds manipulated

both voices to me sound somewhat distorted and changed in pitch, so i would not be able to actually identify any actor

i will propose your suggestion to my friend though, who said that the female voice sounded like nicole kidman to her
Theory is when you know everything and nothing works.
Practice is when things work, and no one knows why.
Here we combine theory and practice.
Nothing works and no one knows why.

modified, taken from bash.org

Offline Xymer

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 04:20:27 PM »
Hi all,
I have a reversed but relating question. Do you happen to know what is that hard, almost instrumental track, that starts with heavy drums, while in the background a sample can be heard from Kill Bill part 2:

"    Bill: Now, when it comes to you, and us, I have a few unanswered questions. So, before this tale of bloody revenge reaches its climax, I'm going to ask you some questions, and I want you to tell me the truth. However, therein lies the dilemma. Because, when it comes to the subject of me, I believe you are truly and utterly incapable of telling the truth – especially to me, and least of all to yourself. And, when it comes to the subject of me, I am truly and utterly incapable of believing anything you say.
    The Bride: How do you suppose we solve this dilemma?
    Bill: Well! It just so happens I have a solution."

Thanks!

Offline swarmofcats

• Digital Dragoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 04:48:36 AM »
Hi all,
I have a reversed but relating question. Do you happen to know what is that hard, almost instrumental track, that starts with heavy drums, while in the background a sample can be heard from Kill Bill part 2:

"    Bill: Now, when it comes to you, and us, I have a few unanswered questions. So, before this tale of bloody revenge reaches its climax, I'm going to ask you some questions, and I want you to tell me the truth. However, therein lies the dilemma. Because, when it comes to the subject of me, I believe you are truly and utterly incapable of telling the truth – especially to me, and least of all to yourself. And, when it comes to the subject of me, I am truly and utterly incapable of believing anything you say.
    The Bride: How do you suppose we solve this dilemma?
    Bill: Well! It just so happens I have a solution."

Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTKltoQggW0

Existence by Destroid.  One of my favorite movies sampled by one of my favorite bands.  :)

Offline Xymer

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 06:48:27 AM »
That's it! Thank you very much Swarmofcats!

Offline [RIVIT]hed

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 10:33:07 AM »
O.k Din Fiv has a song called Conspiracy I'm pretty sure it was released early 2000. One of the samples in the song is from the movie Cube I was wondering if anyone knew what the sample in the beginning is from.It goes like this:

"You dont have to tell me things are bad everybody knows things are bad....(Inaudible) the air is unfit to breath our food is unfit to eat"

Any guesses ?

Offline Drewthetexan

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 10:55:39 AM »
It comes from Network, 1976.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K91WIBsKu_Y
Men have become the tools of their tools.
-Henry David Thoreau

Spam Hunting

anything