Author Topic: XCOM enemy unknown  (Read 10647 times)

Offline Lexus

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
XCOM enemy unknown
« on: January 04, 2013, 08:49:41 AM »
Anyone got the new XCOM? I got it during the Steam Holiday sale and Im getting my ass handed to me by alien scum :P

Anyone else playing it?
My armor is contempt
My shield is disgust
My sword is hatred

Offline Drewthetexan

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM enemy unknown
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 07:48:52 PM »
No, but I imagine it's a blast. True to old versions? I played Terror from the deep in the latter 90's  and to date it's still my favorite game.  There was nothing so satisfying as having 80% of your mission team waxed by a grenade before they ever got off the ship and still completing the mission.
Men have become the tools of their tools.
-Henry David Thoreau

Spam Hunting

Offline Lexus

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 11:32:12 AM »
No, but I imagine it's a blast. True to old versions? I played Terror from the deep in the latter 90's  and to date it's still my favorite game.  There was nothing so satisfying as having 80% of your mission team waxed by a grenade before they ever got off the ship and still completing the mission.
From what I gather its extremely streamlined compared to older versions (I never actually played the original XCOM). Instead of action points, you are simply giving two actions a turn, which you can either use to move and shoot or move twice (and in some cases shoot and move) or use an ability depending on the class. And the actions are streamlined as well.

Still, even with the streamlining it remains a very difficult game. One careless move can result in disaster. And thats on normal. And the game forces you to make hard decisions, will you go save Country A and have the panic levels in country B go up or the other way around. Which can be a real pain because if the panic gets to high countries will leave XCOM and its game over. Also, the resources you have are limited, so you really have to work for it before you can upgrade your squad's armor and weapons.

Some of those tough decisions feel a little forced though. You'd think that during an alien invasion most countries would give you enough money so you can deploy more than one squad at the same time to multiple locations. But thats about the only negative thing I can think of. Maybe that XCOM veterans think the streamlining is terrible, but having never played the original games I cant compare it. And they did get the atmosphere right. I have this constant feeling of impending doom, which is kinda what one should feel during an alien invasion :P

So overall, the game is awesome.

Oh, the game also runs incredibly smooth, which is always a nice thing :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 11:35:30 AM by Lexus »
My armor is contempt
My shield is disgust
My sword is hatred

Offline Drewthetexan

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 09:24:27 PM »
Hmm, in the one I played there were time units for each member of your crew rather than just two movement types. This allowed a lot of control over your characters when you really needed to micromanage your ass out of a bad spot.

As the game developed, more attacks were happening at faster rate and the only way to keep up was to build more bases so that you could deploy interceptors and other ships more readily.  It would get crazy.

A lot of the money came from selling off artifacts and technology that you developed from salvaged items.

And yeah, if you're feeling like the whole thing is hopeless, they've got it right.
-Henry David Thoreau

Spam Hunting

Offline Lexus

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 07:34:11 AM »
Well, it is a multiplatform game. I guess thats one major reason why they streamlined the gameplay so much.

And I don't think you can build more bases. Its all part of this forcing you to make hard choices. But yeah, like I said, sometimes that feels a little forced.

Still the most important thing is that Im having fun while Im playing it :P
My armor is contempt
My shield is disgust
My sword is hatred

Offline Lexus

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 04:03:08 PM »
Arrgh, just got my ass kicked so hard. I haven't upgraded my weapons fast enough, my best teammates are wounded and I have to do a mission that is filled with some really strong enemies. Im screwed.
My armor is contempt
My shield is disgust
My sword is hatred

Offline Drewthetexan

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 09:42:55 PM »
Welcome to XCOM!  xD
-Henry David Thoreau

Spam Hunting

anything