Author Topic: DG on my phone?  (Read 12411 times)

Offline faelaenx

• part time cosmological avatar and possible high functioning sociopath
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Dragoon
  • R.eality I.s P.erception
    • View Profile
DG on my phone?
« on: November 10, 2007, 10:34:14 PM »
ok, so i think i've mentioned before on my slim 1 or 2 posts that i am far from techo-savvy. i'd almost go as far as to say that i might e'en be technotarded. mine ignorance is rampant, ugly and embarassing. But hey, i got a late start in life when it comes to technology and gadgetry. The fuel firing my little self-depreciating monologue is that i cannot get DG to play on my cell phone. i just finally got Web service on it and of course, DG was the first thing i wanted to try out. Now i will readily admit that it is a poor craftsman that blames the tool and that most errors are user errors and all that, so perchance the fault be mine. But when i get onto the site (which is disappointingly less visually appealing on this damn little phone) and click on the 'Listen' tab, i get this "Error: Malformed URL".   Granted, i get "Insufficient memory for this operation" when i first get onto the page, but once i close that window, it still allows me to tab through the site. i can get into the Forum and Reviews and just fine and e'en the Store after a bit of stubbornness. So is my kung fu just not good enough? Something to do with the size of the stream? Mine ignorance betrays me.  Any ideas out there? Any input is much appreesh.
i can only please one person a day. Today is NOT your day. Tomorrow is not looking good either...

Offline koggen

• Bandwidth Donator
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Soldier
    • View Profile
    • Digital Gunfire
Re: DG on my phone?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 08:06:46 AM »
I would try to connect to one of the relays directly instead. You can see which servers are available by downloading the playlist file and open it in a texteditor.

Offline faelaenx

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Dragoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 01:03:06 AM »
Sounds like an idea. Thank you koggen. Now, uh, well, i'm sure i'll get snickered at for this, but how does one download the playlist file?
i can only please one person a day. Today is NOT your day. Tomorrow is not looking good either...

Offline swampfeotus

• Cybernetic Soldier
    • View Profile
    • http://www.swampfeotus.org
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 03:25:53 AM »
* swampfeotus snickers

ANYWAY, on the front page click Listen. The pop-up should have options for multiple bit rates for several different players. I would recommend trying the lower bitrate first, so right click 56k stereo for winamp and choose save linked file as or what the fuck ever the words are. I'm using Safari so yours will likely be worded differently.

Then open that file (probably playlist-lofi.pls) in a text editor.

Unless you have unlimited data plan on a phone this might not be such a good idea btw. If thats not an issue then goodluck on getting it to work.

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digitalgunfire.com
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 09:20:05 PM »
You also need a player, it's not going to work thru the browser. What kind of 'phone is it?
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline faelaenx

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Dragoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 12:34:36 AM »
Thanks Swampfeotus. mine was 'save link as' in Firefox. i'll give it a try.

You also need a player, it's not going to work thru the browser. What kind of 'phone is it?
it's a Samsung SCH-a870. nothin special

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digitalgunfire.com
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 09:29:38 AM »
Unless it has a player capable of streaming MP3 you're out of luck. Not familiar with that one.
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline EvilCouch

• Cybernetic Soldier
    • View Profile
    • Worlds Worst WebComic
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 08:21:24 AM »
I tried listening to DG for awhile on my Tmobile MDA, using a Windows Mobile media player. Had to allocate a bunch of RAM to the player's buffer because the bandwidth available through EDGE wasn't quite enough to stream it. Worked decently. I'd start the stream, then pause it to let it build a buffer for a minute or two, then hit play. It'd go for 20-25 minutes at a time, then need to rebuffer for a minute again. Worked well enough, but it ate battery power like nothing else. (Worse than playing videos off my memory card)

Your mileage may vary, but I found playing DG on my phone to be more of a fun toy than something actually useful.

Offline faelaenx

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Dragoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 11:34:44 PM »
Yeah, i'm seeing now that it's pointless on this phone. But thanks for all the help from you regular infotecks. Sorry i haven't responded sooner, but i've been in Tennessee for the past week and a half and there is shite for anything up on the mountain i was on.

anything