Author Topic: Become a Digital Gunfire sponsor/subscriber!  (Read 100681 times)

Offline JimmyReload

• Digital Soldier
    • View Profile
    • Crash Hats
Re: Become a Digital Gunfire sponsor/subscriber!
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2009, 08:18:54 PM »
Slightly off topic, but...

192kbps is higher quality than regular CD format, and you can actually hear the difference!

I'm afraid you are very wrong here. 320 kbps stream isn't even CD quality and here's why:

CD audio is sampled 44,100 times per second at 16 bits per sample per channel. Stereo is 2 channels. This means that what you are hearing is effectively 1,411,200 bits per second, or in streaming terms,  1,378.125 kbps. No where near 192 kbps (kilobits per second).

I am now going to direct you towards this website http://computer.howstuffworks.com/mp31.htm which clearly explains how mp3 is compressed and why it will never be as good as CD even if you can't hear the difference.

That said, I will add a 192kbps stream is a LOT better than a 128kbps stream even if it's not perfect ;)

Offline mikepowell512

• Cybernetic Grunt
  • Always hardcore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2010, 12:06:01 PM »
TY Shirow, I'll have a look at this, I just don't trust Paypal that much. Still, I gonna find a way to support my favorite station!

If you find any other way, let me know please..
I want to be a subscriber/sponsor too but I have the same opinion like you - I dont trust PayPal..
Im not from USA and I havent a credit card..
Live your life according to your own rules.

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digitalgunfire.com
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2010, 11:35:39 PM »
TY Shirow, I'll have a look at this, I just don't trust Paypal that much. Still, I gonna find a way to support my favorite station!

I want to be a subscriber/sponsor too but I have the same opinion like you - I dont trust PayPal..

Well, they're definitely not the greatest but I think the only thing to really be concerned about is if you're a seller, not a purchaser.

That being said, I know people have worries and I'll look for something else that works internationally and supports subscriptions.
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline mikepowell512

• Cybernetic Grunt
  • Always hardcore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2010, 09:16:05 AM »

Well, they're definitely not the greatest but I think the only thing to really be concerned about is if you're a seller, not a purchaser.

That being said, I know people have worries and I'll look for something else that works internationally and supports subscriptions.

Thanks, Im waiting and looking forward to.. :)

Offline faelaenx

• part time cosmological avatar and possible high functioning sociopath
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Dragoon
  • R.eality I.s P.erception
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »

Just my two cents if it helps ease anyone's mind about using PayPal. i've used it for years now, since '03 as a buyer and mayhap even moreso as a seller. i can honestly say i have never once had any kind of security issue. Though it's always free to purchase with, one thing that our non-U.S. resident DG fans here might not like is that there is a currency conversion fee, though i don't know what it is. The only thing that irks me occasionally is as a seller you get charged just under 3%. Though i suppose that's not really that much. Not trying to pitch an advertisement for them or anything, just throwing out my personal experience if it helps at all.
i can only please one person a day. Today is NOT your day. Tomorrow is not looking good either...

Offline Lexus

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2010, 03:26:32 AM »
There is a currency conversion fee? Oh wow, I never noticed that. Then again, DG is the only thing I pay in dollars.
My armor is contempt
My shield is disgust
My sword is hatred

Offline faelaenx

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Dragoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2010, 10:04:14 PM »
There is a currency conversion fee? Oh wow, I never noticed that. Then again, DG is the only thing I pay in dollars.

Yeah, but as far as purchases go it is still free. i was able to find the info and apparently it's only the recipient that gets the charge; an extra 1%. There are fees however for transfers converted to USD, which vary by country (specific country info i couldn't find but it varies, depending on payment method, form 0.5% - 3.9% and + $0.30). However, apparently the Sender decides who pays the fees - the sender or the recipient.
i can only please one person a day. Today is NOT your day. Tomorrow is not looking good either...

Offline Drewthetexan

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2010, 09:11:14 AM »

Just my two cents if it helps ease anyone's mind about using PayPal. i've used it for years now, since '03 as a buyer and mayhap even moreso as a seller. i can honestly say i have never once had any kind of security issue. Though it's always free to purchase with, one thing that our non-U.S. resident DG fans here might not like is that there is a currency conversion fee, though i don't know what it is. The only thing that irks me occasionally is as a seller you get charged just under 3%. Though i suppose that's not really that much. Not trying to pitch an advertisement for them or anything, just throwing out my personal experience if it helps at all.

I wonder if the 3% is actually imposed by credit card companies.  They typically take a percentage on transactions from merchants, and maybe paypal makes it's money by tacking on a bit more?   
Men have become the tools of their tools.
-Henry David Thoreau

Spam Hunting

Offline mikepowell512

• Cybernetic Grunt
  • Always hardcore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2010, 08:00:19 PM »
So what? How goes brainstorming? Have anybody any idea, how to become a subscriber without using paypal or credit card?  :P

Offline faelaenx

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Dragoon
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2010, 08:17:05 PM »
So what? How goes brainstorming? Have anybody any idea, how to become a subscriber without using paypal or credit card?  :P

Maybe you could mail Shirow a money order or check or something for like a year's worth subscription?

Offline mikepowell512

• Cybernetic Grunt
  • Always hardcore!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2010, 10:17:20 PM »
Hmm..thats not a bad idea.. But it is so complicated! I have problems to send money to country in Eurozone, less so to USA.. Shirow knows about this problem and is working on it..

Id embrace a universal solution for all "non-american" and "not pay-pal users"..
Something like periodical money transfer to abroad..
I had something similar during first year of my studies (I study abroad, in adjacent country) but my bank cancelled this possibility, damned! >:(
Because of safety.. So I can nothing for now..
So Im asking, if somebody would know, wouldnt he..

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digitalgunfire.com
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2010, 06:37:38 PM »
It's tough for me because I have to use some third party. I don't have the kind of income through the site to justify getting a merchant account which would allow for those kind of options.

I have yet to find another provider that allows foreign transactions and supports subscriptions. I would be willing to do mailed $ if that was something you wanted to do, but it is definitely a pain in the butt for both parties.
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline mnemon

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2010, 08:22:11 AM »
Maybe something like this would work?

Offline Wipeout2097

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2010, 05:44:20 PM »
Hey, first post. I've been listening to this fantastic radio for almost 2 years. I intend to donate a few euros when possible :)

I've read the part about the bandwidth costs. So I have a suggestion: (also) broadcast in AAC or AAC+. I've read that AAC 96KB or AAC+ 64KB sounds as good as MP3 128.

Cheers :)

Offline Hunter J7

• alias. Nexus 6
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Soldier
  • Bailout Check
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2010, 09:51:41 PM »
Hey Hey Hey
NOW I HAVE TO RUN BEFORE THE STORM,  I'LL  FIND MY OWN WAY.