Author Topic: Streaming DG to your cellular 'phone/playing in your car  (Read 29320 times)

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digitalgunfire.com
Streaming DG to your cellular 'phone/playing in your car
« on: November 08, 2010, 08:18:23 AM »
Please note that you must be able to sustain a 128kbps stream to your 'phone to support DG streaming. If you can't.. complain to your provider :)

First, you need an appropriate player for your 'phone.

ANDROID

You can download the application by forgivegod from this forum post - http://www.digitalgunfire.com/forum/index.php/topic,1271.msg10461.html#msg10461

This will allow you to stream DG to your Android device.

If you have problems with the app, you can also use WinAMP for Android (http://www.winamp.com/android)

Apple iPhone

Download the Shoutcast application from the AppStore. You will have to go into settings and enable high quality streams to have Digital Gunfire show up in the app. Once you have enabled high quality streams, launch the app and search for 'DigitalGunfire'.

You can also use Tuner (http://www.nullriver.com/products/tuner) which allows music streaming in the background.

How to stream DG into your car

You have two main options - AUX input or FM transmission.

AUX input will only work if you have an AUX input jack in your car. Most newer cars do. You can either connect your 'phone directly to the AUX input jack with a 3.5mm -> 3.5mm cable (e.g. iSimple ISVE913 3.5mm Mini Male to 3.5mm Jack) or you can use a Bluetooth to 3.5mm adapter.

I personally use the Kensington LiquidAUX on my Android HTC Incredible. They also have an iPhone compatible version here.

This works by connecting to your 'phone via Bluetooth and outputting via the 3.5mm jack to your AUX input. I like the LiquidAUX because the receiver plugs directly into your 12v power output (cigarette lighter) in your car so you don't have to charge it but there are a bunch of options out there.

If you don't have an AUX input jack, your next best choice is an FM transmitter like this. This one will also plug into your 12v jack so you don't have to charge it.

These are not going to give the same kind of quality of sound as the direct AUX input will but they are passable.. I use it in my wife's car because she doesn't have an AUX input on her stereo.

Let me know if you have any questions. I stream DG into my car on my 2 hour commute every day, helps the time go by a little faster :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 02:32:32 PM by Shirow »
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline quizboy

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
Re: Streaming DG to your cellular 'phone/playing in your car
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 01:53:12 PM »
Hello,
  I use an app called "Tuner" on the iPhone, and it works great.  I prefer it over the app you mention, SHOUTcast, because Tuner allows playing music in the background.  I am not related to Tuner in any way (other than a customer).

I don't use the app for much more than listening to DG, but I've been using it to listen to DG for years.  The only issue is that every once in a while the URL for the DG streaming site changes, and I have to update and enter a new bookmark for DG.

--Steven

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 02:32:02 PM »
Thanks, I'll add a piece in the post about it!
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline MightyMikeLech

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 02:43:48 PM »
What about us "CrackBerry" (RIM BlackBerry) Users? Why should the AppleMacHeads that have iEverything and 'Droids have all the fun?? Not all BB users are stiff, corporate, Armani-clad suits playin' Sudoku or BrickBreaker on the PATH train back to New Jersey after a "hard" day on the floor of the exchanges on Wall Street......
Say "NO!" to THUGS!!

Offline creepster

• Don't Take It Personally
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
  • mess with the best - die like the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 04:47:32 PM »
What about us "CrackBerry" (RIM BlackBerry) Users? Why should the AppleMacHeads that have iEverything and 'Droids have all the fun?? Not all BB users are stiff, corporate, Armani-clad suits playin' Sudoku or BrickBreaker on the PATH train back to New Jersey after a "hard" day on the floor of the exchanges on Wall Street......

iLoLed
Theory is when you know everything and nothing works.
Practice is when things work, and no one knows why.
Here we combine theory and practice.
Nothing works and no one knows why.

modified, taken from bash.org

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 05:44:23 AM »
I was never able to find a good Shoutcast app for the Blackberry when I had one. There might be one out there now though..
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline DJ Wolf

• Digital Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 06:09:26 AM »
Since my N97 broke I have had to go back to my N95. Ovi store has a free internet radio app that I can get DG on. I use Vodafone in Australia so I can only speak from that perspective. I have a few problems with keeping the buffer going depending on where I am however.

With the internet radio app running I use  3.5 to 3.5 lead into my head unit in my car and DG comes through loud and proud.

I am a courier and spend anywhere up to 16 hours a day on the road.

The only problem is the amount of data it chews up. I get 2 gig free per month and that can go pretty quick. So as said in the first post make sure you can get the stream but be aware of your internet plan on your mobile phone.

DJ Wolf

Offline Eoan

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 02:18:57 AM »
For any Windows Phone 7 users out there, I can recommend the WP7 app TuneIn Radio as a great way of streaming DG anywhere you'd like.
http://www.marketplacebrowser.com/267885/tunein-radio/

cheers

Offline SunShine_K

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Digital Grunt
  • THIS needs more tentacles!
    • View Profile
    • Leashme
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 10:13:21 AM »
Seconded for Tune In Radio for the Droid too...I killed my sat rad subscription and only listen to DG!

Offline paultim374

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 03:53:11 AM »
Why should the AppleMacHeads that have iEverything and 'Droids have all the fun?

If hankering after Youtube exam preparation then join our self study Washington University in St. Louis dumps program to hit success on first try plus gain additional knowledge for next 640-554 dumps exam. if you need more information visit main site ICMA or see brain dump  page best wishes.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 12:02:00 AM by paultim374 »

Offline assfacegasmask

• Digital Grunt
  • Hell Kill You If He Gets A Chance
    • View Profile
    • Dataflow Networks
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 10:17:32 PM »
I use winamp on cyanogen mod 10.2 nightly just fine and have been running nightlies for over two years, im on Verizon in Northern California, i been listening to DG for well over a year and a half without a hitch, i do IT for a living and don't have anything tweaked besides the experimental ROMS on the phone, Ive used a droid2 on 3g - no prob Motorola razr m - no problem now on a galaxy 3 sch - i535 all on VZW all on cyanogen mod, some unstable other stable, i sometimes watch the downstream data flow but its pretty solid and dead on with packet size and buffer pre cache, fragmentation is rare  usually am getting shouttcast stream and its always clean.. If you guys need any packet analysis or web debugging, I have been a Rivet-head as long as There were beats to rivet to, and a IT professional just as long. Digital Gunfire makes it so much  easier to rock out than my collection or rare unreleased and whatever i have  a hard time choosing as i have a shit ton of tracks and never can make up my mind. you guys make it easy. Sorry to get off subject and maybe i should post this elsewhere, but my point being, If you guys need some help with packet forming, routing, switching or any of that geeky shit, I am a expert in DNS Firewall and Security as well as have been a devout phone geek and tinkerer for the last 25 years. Back when South of Market In San Francisco (SOMA) was the place to be and there was a good club going (illegally mind you) almost e very night. Underground, DRUG#6 House of Usher, Bondage a-go-go. good times. Thanks for keeping the scene alive. I offer my skills to you and to your technical crew if you ever need a extra set of eyes. And heres the shocker, im not asking for shit in return, Except keep pumpin the kickass beats
Jeremy Bettencout

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 10:12:45 AM »
:)
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com