Author Topic: request system  (Read 38732 times)

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.digitalgunfire.com
Re: request system
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 02:31:44 PM »
Request system requires javascript, any non-js browser will fail.
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline Mendoza

• I haz Cookie!
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Digital Soldier
  • I wonder if i can blow up that button, too...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 08:10:59 PM »
mkay, gonna get my opera mini java-ready.
other than that, id like to see some "vote for this request"-button, so you can add your vote to a request to increase its priority, which then should substract a request from your current request-balance. example: request by someone, i click vote and loose one request, and the priority of the song increases by factor two or something.
-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GCM/CS d--- s++:-- a--- C++++>$ UL++ P++ L++ E(++) W+ N+@ o+++
!K w++(---) !O M-- V P- PE+ Y+ PGP++ t++@ 5+ X+++ R+ tv b++ !DI
D+++ G++ e>+++ h+ r++ !y+**
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 09:46:19 PM »
I've actually considered that, but I thought it might be a bit complex for people to immediately understand, especially since you can't see the current play order of requests and sub requests are prioritized anyway
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline Drewthetexan

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2009, 12:48:37 PM »
I might have just missed it, but the song I requested: Unheilig - Feuerengel, was cleared out recently, doesn't show on the history, but I don't think it played.  I think it was still queued around 11 CST, but can't say for sure.  There was another song queued, but I don't remember what it was, also cleared out.

Did it play? Anyone remember hearing either?   
Men have become the tools of their tools.
-Henry David Thoreau

Spam Hunting

Offline wildpeaks

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 10:10:01 AM »
I've actually considered that, but I thought it might be a bit complex for people to immediately understand
Icons such as these (with different colors, these are meant for a white background) would be easy enough to understand imho.

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 10:33:32 AM »
I've actually considered that, but I thought it might be a bit complex for people to immediately understand
Icons such as these (with different colors, these are meant for a white background) would be easy enough to understand imho.

Yeah, but the question is, what do they mean? Prioritize this request? I like this song? I like this user? There is already quite a bit of functionality on the main page, I just wonder if people will understand the concept and/or does it make any sense in the grander scheme of the system.
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline creepster

• Don't Take It Personally
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
  • mess with the best - die like the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 12:10:08 PM »

Yeah, but the question is, what do they mean? Prioritize this request? I like this song? I like this user? There is already quite a bit of functionality on the main page, I just wonder if people will understand the concept and/or does it make any sense in the grander scheme of the system.

i think people should understand it if the line depicting the thumbs-up/thumbs-down icons includes "do you like this song?"

if people do not understand it, then they are too dumb to begin with and should not be on the computer but gtfo
if we're gearing everything to the lowest level, then we might as well go back to "ugh, zoot likes *grunt*"
Theory is when you know everything and nothing works.
Practice is when things work, and no one knows why.
Here we combine theory and practice.
Nothing works and no one knows why.

modified, taken from bash.org

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2009, 12:46:07 PM »
Well yeah but what does that mean then for the site? The original suggestion was to let people prioritize requests - would it be immediately obvious that this was happening? Is that functionality even worthwhile? Should it override subscriber priority? etc etc..

At the end of the day - does it add a function that serves any real purpose - my gut feeling is 'no'
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline Jib

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Soldier
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009, 01:02:15 PM »
Don't include any purpose to it.  Add it to the site so people that like clicking on things will feel like they are contributing.

Offline Shirow

• Administrator
  • Electronic Colossus
  • Yup.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 06:35:16 PM »
If anyone likes clicking things, click the google ads ;)
Simon "Shirow" Westlake
- www.digitalgunfire.com

Offline hacraxy

• Digital Grunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 12:58:10 AM »
I don't support the idea of prioritizing requests. Just because then we would not have a REQUEST system, but something more like a hit chart. Also I think it would be rude to dissuade someone else's request for a song. And correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems to be the opposite to the point of the entire request system - any registered users can make one song request and enjoy it as it plays.

If you want some more advanced rights for subscribed users then maybe those users can have 2 requests a day, or something similar.

Offline creepster

• Don't Take It Personally
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
  • mess with the best - die like the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2009, 08:02:56 AM »
I don't support the idea of prioritizing requests. Just because then we would not have a REQUEST system, but something more like a hit chart. Also I think it would be rude to dissuade someone else's request for a song. And correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems to be the opposite to the point of the entire request system - any registered users can make one song request and enjoy it as it plays.

If you want some more advanced rights for subscribed users then maybe those users can have 2 requests a day, or something similar.

subscribers already DO have 2 requests per day
Theory is when you know everything and nothing works.
Practice is when things work, and no one knows why.
Here we combine theory and practice.
Nothing works and no one knows why.

modified, taken from bash.org

Offline Drewthetexan

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2010, 12:41:52 PM »
Is it possible, or even reasonable, to be able to suspend a request?  Sometimes I know I'm likely going to miss the request because I'll be away from desk or whatever, and my choices now are: chance missing it or cancel it and try again later. 

Say my song was up next, it could be passed over if requests are pulled until I unsuspend it, at which it takes it's place back in the queue. I don't think the songs should be suspended indefinitely, maybe only delay the request until the following time they are pulled or until requests are reset, or something along those lines.

Men have become the tools of their tools.
-Henry David Thoreau

Spam Hunting

Offline Lexus

• SUBSCRIBER
  • Binary Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2010, 01:22:20 PM »
Why cant I request PSY'AVIAH?
My armor is contempt
My shield is disgust
My sword is hatred

Offline faelaenx

• part time cosmological avatar and possible high functioning sociopath
  • SUBSCRIBER
  • Cybernetic Dragoon
  • R.eality I.s P.erception
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2010, 02:10:16 PM »
Is it possible, or even reasonable, to be able to suspend a request?  Sometimes I know I'm likely going to miss the request because I'll be away from desk or whatever, and my choices now are: chance missing it or cancel it and try again later. 

Say my song was up next, it could be passed over if requests are pulled until I unsuspend it, at which it takes it's place back in the queue. I don't think the songs should be suspended indefinitely, maybe only delay the request until the following time they are pulled or until requests are reset, or something along those lines.

I'm with you. Can't tell you how many times i've missed a request and since there isn't any way to determine when it will be played i am loathe to cancel and start over again. Though it might just have to come with the territory cuz it sounds like it might be a bit of work to do. If possible at all that is.
i can only please one person a day. Today is NOT your day. Tomorrow is not looking good either...